This Asian favourite offers an all-round eating experience – fill up on fantastic fresh vegetables, savour the spicy broth and slurp up the noodles.
- 300g dried ramen noodles (or for a gluten-free option use thin rice noodles)
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- 6 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 2cm piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 carrot, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 200g baby sweetcorn, halved lengthways
- 200g mangetout, halved lengthways
- 2 x 225g cans bamboo shoots in water, drained
- 2 x 225g cans water chestnuts in water, drained and sliced
- 2 pak choi, roughly shredded
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce/tamari
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce/tamari
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, then drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, put the stock in a large saucepan and add the spring onions, garlic, chilli and ginger. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then turn the heat to medium and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the carrot, sweetcorn, mangetout, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and pak choi and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add the noodles to the pan, bring back to the boil and remove from the heat. Stir in the soy sauces and ladle into wide bowls. Scatter over the extra chilli and serve hot.