Lamb rogan josh
In this mild curry, flavoured with dry-roasted spiced, the lamb releases its delicious juices during a slow, gentle cooking process.
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Total time: Over 60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- Original: ½
Add 6 Syns if not using Lamb (raw weight) as a Healthy Extra on Green.
- 75g/3oz fat-free natural yogurt
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp peeled and finely grated ginger
- ½ tsp tumeric
- 600g/1lb 6oz lamb neck fillet or leg steak, all visable fat removed
- 300g/11oz onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- Fry Light
- 3 dried bay leaves, crumbled
- 6 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 5cm/2in cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped mint leaves
- 4 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Place the yogurt, chilli, ground coriander, cumin, garlic, ginger and tumeric in a small bowl and mix.
- Cut the lamb into 5cm/2in cubes, place them in a large non-stick frying pan with the onions, place over a medium heat and stir until the mixture begins to sizzle. Add the yogurt mixture, reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lamb releases its juices.
- Uncover the pan, increase the heat to medium and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce has reduced to a paste-like consistency. Add the tomato purée and 350ml/12fl oz of boiling water, season with salt, cover and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Spray a small frying pan with Fry Light and place over a low heat. Add the bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and allow to sizzle for 40-45 seconds. Pour the contents of this pan over the meat along with the nutmeg, stir to mix, cover tightly and cook gently for another 12-15 minutes or until the meat is tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the fresh mint and coriander before serving.
Tip: Don't let the amount of spices used in this dish put you off - you could use 1 tbsp medium curry powder instead if you want.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join Slimming World between the 19th May and 8th June and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5.00 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night and a fabulous saving of £5! PLUS join with a 12-week Countdown course and get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our Little Book of Lunches, saving an extra £13.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.com/group to find your nearest group.