Heat up the kitchen with a satisfyingly spicy vegetarian chilli that your whole family will love.
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 4 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 celery sticks, cut into 1.5cm dice
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 tsp each of dried mixed herbs, ground cumin, ground cinnamon and chilli powder
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 400g can black-eyed beans in water, drained
- 400g can red kidney beans in chilli sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Cooked white or brown basmati rice, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Spray a large frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat.
- Add the shallots, garlic, celery, carrots and red pepper and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the dried herbs, ground cumin, ground cinnamon, chilli powder, tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and allow to cook gently for 10-12 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the beans and cook for 2-3 minutes or until piping hot.
- Season well, remove from the heat and sprinkle over the coriander.
- Serve with cooked rice and lime wedges to squeeze over.
Tip: This dish freezes really well (chilli only). Make up a huge batch, split into smaller portions and freeze for up to a month.