Video: Barbecue pulled pork
Tuck into this healthy version of an all-American classic. In this video recipe lean pork is slow-cooked then shredded or 'pulled' and layered with barbecue sauce.
- 1.5-2kg pork shoulder, all fat removed
- 5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 500g passata
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp sweetener
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, mix passata, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, mustard powder, garlic, sweetener and seasoning. Transfer to a small pan and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, trim and remove all visible fat from the pork and sear all sides in a hot frying pan. Transfer to a slow cooker coat with the sauce and cook for 8-12 hours on LOW.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and place on a cutting board. Allow the meat to cool for approximately 15 minutes, then shred into bite-sized pieces using two forks.
- Remove the sauce from the pan and set aside to drizzle on the meat later.