A fragrant feast of noodles, chicken and oriental vegetables in a sweet chilli sauce.
- 25g fresh root ginger, peeled
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large roasted red pepper - in brine from a jar, drained
- 1 red chilli, deseeded
- ½ lemon grass stalk, outer leaves discarded, roughly chopped
- low calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 dried kaffir lime leaves
- 200g dried egg noodles
- 600g skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 250g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 5 spring onions, cut into 3cm lengths
- 225g can bamboo shoots, drained
- 225g can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 100g fresh bean sprouts, rinsed
- Put the ginger, garlic, red pepper, chilli and lemon grass in a small food processor or blender and blend until fairly smooth.
- Spray a large non-stick saucepan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, adding a little water if needed. Stir in the red pepper paste, soy sauce, stock cube, vinegar, tomato purée, lime leaves and 200ml boiling water and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the pack instructions and drain.
- Place a large non-stick wok over a high heat, spray with low calorie cooking spray and cook the chicken for 6-7 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Spray the wok with more low calorie cooking spray, add the carrot, broccoli and a little water and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the spring onions, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and bean sprouts and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the wok and add the onion and red pepper sauce, discarding the lime leaves. Add the drained noodles and a little water if needed and bring to a simmer. When the chicken is cooked through, serve hot. Enjoy!
Tip: This dish is part of the Slimming World food range, available in Iceland stores