Slimming World’s privacy promise
At Slimming World, we’re committed to safely, securely and responsibly protecting the data we hold. Our Privacy Promise below explains in detail our commitment to confidentiality, including how we use member information, who we share it with, how long we keep it for, how we keep it safe and how members can request the information we hold about them.
If anything is unclear or you have questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our Privacy Notice
- Who is Slimming World?
- What information will Slimming World collect about me?
- How will Slimming World use the information it collects about me?
- Your Slimming World Online or LifelineOnline account
- When will Slimming World contact me?
- Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
- Will Slimming World share my personal information with anyone else?
- Offensive or inappropriate content on Slimming World websites, social media pages, etc.
- What if I’m a user aged under 18?
- How long will Slimming World keep my information?
- How secure is my personal information?
- Can I delete my data?
- Can I find out what personal information Slimming World holds about me?
- What if I’m accessing Slimming World websites from outside the UK?
- Apps and devices
1. Our Privacy Notice
We take your privacy very seriously and so should you. So please read this Privacy Notice to understand how we handle your personal information and how we keep that information secure.
Whether you’re an online member or a member of one of our groups, or you’re visiting our website for the first time, we want you to know that your personal information is important to us and we value the trust and faith you put into Slimming World to deliver the best service and support to help you succeed with your weight loss.
We want to help you get the most from Slimming World and we use your personal information to provide you with the services most relevant to you.
At Slimming World, we’re committed to maintaining confidentiality and protecting your privacy, and this Privacy Notice explains why we need your personal information, what we do with that personal information, and how we ensure it’s kept safe and secure.
We explain the ways in which your personal data is used if you’re:
- a member of one of our groups
- a group member using our LifelineOnline website
- a Slimming World Online member
- a visitor to our website
2. Who is Slimming World?
Slimming World is the trading name of Miles-Bramwell Executive Services Limited. Company number 01242071.
Registered office: Clover Nook Road, Somercotes, Alfreton, Derbyshire DE55 4SW.
There are a number of Slimming World group companies, however this is the company you should contact if you have queries. It’s this company that is primarily responsible for making sure your personal information is kept appropriately, safely and securely.
As a business, Slimming World has responsibilities for looking after your personal information. All our employed staff with access to your personal information are trained and aware of their responsibilities for the safe processing of your personal information.
Our group services
Slimming World Consultants are authorised to run our groups and they operate as self-employed franchisees under licence from Slimming World. You’re a Slimming World member of your Consultant’s group and they’re responsible for collecting and processing your personal information and any data needed to provide you with their services.
Slimming World as a business and your Consultant have responsibilities for looking after your personal information. All our Consultants are trained and aware of their responsibilities for the safe processing of your personal information.
For the purposes of this Privacy Notice, ‘Slimming World’ refers to Slimming World as a business and our self-employed Consultants.
3. What information will Slimming World collect about me?
When you join as a member either at one of our groups or online, we need some personal information to manage your membership and to ensure our weight loss services are effective and suitable for you. This information can include:
- contact details such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone or mobile number.
- information such as your gender or date of birth.
- information about your medical history and health, including your GP’s name and address, to help us provide guidance and support through the Slimming World programme.
- throughout your membership we will collect information collected throughout your membership relating to your weight and your weight loss progress. We may also record other personal details provided by you which we will use to help provide you with the most effective weight loss support.
You can only become a member if it’s appropriate and safe to do so, and we fully understand that this information is personal and needs to be kept secure and private.
If you participate in, access or sign up to any of Slimming World’s services, activities or online content, such as newsletters, competitions, live chats, message boards, web and mobile notifications, or telephone or text Slimming World, or create an account using our online registration system, we may receive personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone or mobile number, gender or date of birth, as well as information collected about your use of Slimming World services (such as what you read or watch on the Slimming World website).
If you’ve joined your Slimming World group as part of a Slimming World on Referral scheme, we may also require additional information related to your membership, which the referring organisations use for statistical purposes.
Where we provide personalised services we may ask your permission to review third-party data about you, for example, your Twitter or Facebook feeds, to get to know you better and to provide more effective personalisation. Some of our services enable you to sign in via a third-party service, such as Facebook. If you choose to sign in via a third-party app, you will be presented with a dialog box which will ask your permission to allow Slimming World to access your personal information (e.g. your full name, date of birth, email address and any other information you have made publicly accessible). Please note that any information that is not required by the particular service you have opted to use will not be retained by Slimming World.
Sometimes we will ask you for additional personal information, and sometimes sensitive personal information (e.g. if you’ve entered a competition or sent in your story to be used in our magazine or for publicity). When we do this we only use the personal information with your explicit consent, and we will provide further information at the time about why we’re collecting your information and how we’ll use it.
If you’re the parent or guardian of a child under 16
Our online membership services are only suitable for adults aged 18 years and over.
For our group services, we recognise that children need particular protection when we collect and process their personal data, as they may be less aware of the risks involved.
Any child aged between 11 and 15 and registering as a Free2go member can only do so with their parent’s or guardian’s written consent. We will show the child and their parent or guardian our Privacy Notice Summary and ensure they understand this before signing our membership agreement.
Young adults aged 16 to 17 do not need their parent’s or guardian’s consent to join. In terms of privacy and data protection they will be treated in the same way as any other standard member and shown the Privacy Notice Summary before they join. However, we will ensure they understand how their personal data will be used and give them the opportunity to ask questions if there’s anything they don’t understand.
4. How will Slimming World use the information it collects about me?
Slimming World (and for group members your Consultant) will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- To provide you with our services and administer your membership. Without this information Slimming World would be unable to offer you our service and support and we will be unable to accept you as a member. When you join Slimming World you’re agreeing to our terms and conditions including this Privacy Notice.
- To provide our online content, services and activities, or to provide you with information about them and to deal with your requests and enquiries.
- To contact you in relation to our weight loss services. We will not send you unrelated marketing material, nor will we transfer your personal information to third parties for marketing purposes.
- To provide our website Nearest Group service, we ask for a postcode. If you want your nearest group details to be emailed to you, we ask for your email address. Your details are not rented out, given or sold to any other company – we hate spam as much as you do!
- To ensure we’re publishing content users need and want, the Slimming World website collects information about your usage of our site. We only use this information in aggregated form (so that no individuals are identified) for improving the website.
- To provide you with the most user-friendly online navigation experience.
- We may analyse the information you supply, as well as your activity, so we can offer a more tailored service. For example, we could use your website viewing history to provide personalised menu recommendations.
- When using our websites, or if you’ve subscribed to our email newsletters, we may use your information to inform you of special offers and provide other marketing information which we think you may find of interest. If you’d rather not receive this information, you can opt out by emailing email@example.com or by simply clicking the link to unsubscribe at the bottom of any marketing emails.
- To use IP addresses and device identifiers to identify the location of users, to block disruptive use; to establish the number of visits from different countries, and to determine where you’re accessing our services from. If you access our services from outside the UK, you may be redirected to the appropriate Slimming World website for the country/territory you’re in.
- Slimming World also keeps your personal information as a member for use as part of our scientific or historical research purposes to develop our methods and services. Access is carefully restricted and controlled and the information will only be used in the research and development of our weight loss services. As part of our research we may work in partnership with other research bodies, such as universities.
- We may also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes.
Where Slimming World proposes using your personal information for any other uses, we will ensure that we notify you first and, if necessary, seek your consent.
5. Your Slimming World Online or LifelineOnline account
If you’ve registered for a Slimming World online account, all your information is stored in a single database for use by all of our web services.
Where you provide personal data, including health information, through Slimming World Online or LifelineOnline, we may use this information to provide you with tailored features and functionality.
We may use carefully selected third parties to help improve the quality of our online offering, and to help us shape the creation of new services by storing, tracking and analysing user preferences and trends, and to ensure that your use of our online products and services is right for you.
At all times Slimming World is the owner of the information collected through our online products and services.
Currently we use a recognised payment gateway – MasterCard – for all online payments. Details such as credit/debit card numbers are not stored by us.
As someone who has registered for a Slimming World Online or LifelineOnline account, on occasion Slimming World may invite you to take part in research studies. Your participation is entirely voluntary and you’ll always be asked for your consent before taking part.
6. When will Slimming World contact me?
Slimming World may contact you about any service, activity or online content you’ve signed up for, to ensure we can deliver our services, e.g. to verify your email when you sign up for an online account, or to help you reset your password.
If you’re a group member, your Consultant may contact you about any service they provide, or to tell you about changes to their group time or date, for example. If you don’t attend their group regularly they may send you reminder emails of their services while your details remain on our database as a member (see section 11: How long will Slimming World keep my information?).
We may also contact you for the following reasons:
- about correspondence we receive from you or any comment or complaint you make about Slimming World products or services
- about any personalised services you’re using
- about any contribution you’ve submitted to Slimming World, e.g. on any message boards or via text or voicemail message
- to invite you to take part in surveys about Slimming World services (participation is always voluntary)
- to update you on any material changes to our policies and practices
- for marketing purposes, as set out in section 7
- about any service, activity or online content your child aged under 13 has signed up for, to ask if you agree to your child’s request for additional account permissions
We will never contact you to ask for your Slimming World account password, or other login information. Please be cautious if you receive emails or calls from people asking for this information and claiming to be from Slimming World.
7. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
Slimming World will only send you marketing emails or contact you where you’ve agreed to this. We do not sell or share your personal information for marketing or promotion of any third-party products.
When you join one of our groups your Consultant will only send you emails about the services they provide. If you don’t attend their group regularly they may send you reminder emails while your details remain on our database as a member (see section 11: How long will Slimming World keep my information?).
When you become a member of Slimming World your email address is added to our database and we may use your email to contact you directly about our services, products or information that we believe might interest you. If your membership lapses we may send you reminder emails of our services while your details remain on our database as a member (see section 11: How long will Slimming World keep my information?).
When you sign up for our marketing emails via our website or apps, we add your email address to our database and may use your email address to contact you directly about services, products or information we believe might interest you. We may use a third-party marketing service to send marketing emails on behalf of Slimming World, and you can easily opt out of receiving further marketing emails from Slimming World by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by simply clicking the link to unsubscribe at the bottom of any marketing emails.
If you have one of our apps on your mobile device, we may also notify you regarding services, products or information we believe might interest you through push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Transactional emails (e.g. receipts, notifications about your membership) will continue to be delivered to you during your active Slimming World membership, regardless of whether you’ve opted into receiving marketing and support emails.
8. Will Slimming World share my personal information with anyone else?
The success of the Slimming World business depends upon your trust and we do not sell or share your personal information for marketing or promotion of third-party products.
If you’re a group member, your personal information is shared between your Consultant and Slimming World. Your information may also be shared with another Consultant taking your Slimming World group, for example if your Consultant goes on holiday or is off sick or unable to take your group for any reason. Your information is only shared with another Consultant for the same purpose – to provide you with the Slimming World service.
Where we want to use your personal information for Slimming World publicity or marketing, we will only do so with your explicit consent, including where this involves the sharing of personal information with a third party.
If you joined your Slimming World group as part of a Slimming World on Referral scheme, we have to share your information with the referring organisation as part of our duties under the referral scheme.
Sometimes Slimming World uses third parties to process your information on our behalf, for example to provide our online services or for analysis. Slimming World requires these third parties to comply strictly with its instructions and we demand that they do not use your personal information for their own business purposes, unless you have explicitly consented to the use of your personal information in this way.
As part of our research we may work in partnership with other research bodies such as universities. Wherever possible we ensure personal information is anonymised. Where the sharing of personal information is necessary for that research, we ensure the security and confidentiality of your data in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
9. Offensive or inappropriate content on Slimming World websites, social media pages, etc.
If you post or send content which may reasonably be deemed offensive, inappropriate or objectionable anywhere on Slimming World websites or social media pages, or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on any Slimming World service, we may remove such content.
Where Slimming World reasonably believes that you are or may be in breach of any applicable laws, for example on hate speech, Slimming World may disclose your personal information to relevant third parties, including to law enforcement agencies or your internet provider. Slimming World would only do so in circumstances where such disclosure is permitted under applicable laws, including data protection law.
10. What if I’m a user aged under 18?
Our online membership services are only suitable for adults aged 18 years and over, so we’re unable to accept you as an online member or to access our online member services if you’re under 18.
You can join our group services as a Young Adult member from ages 16 to 17 and we do not require your parent’s or guardian’s consent. In terms of privacy and data protection you will be treated in the same way as any other standard member and shown the Privacy Notice Summary before you join. However, we’ll ensure you understand how your personal data will be used and give you the opportunity to ask questions if there are any points you don’t understand.
For our group services we recognise that children need particular protection when we collect and process their personal data because they may be less aware of the risks involved. Any child aged between 11 and 15 years of age and registering as a Free2go member can only do so with their parent’s or guardian’s written consent. We will show the child member and their parent or guardian our Privacy Notice Summary and ensure they understand this before signing our membership agreement.
11. How long will Slimming World keep my information?
We will only hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant service you’ve signed up for.
As a member, the personal information you give us will be kept for a maximum period of 36 months after your last attendance in group or last online activity as an online member. During this period your details are retained as a lapsed member in case you want to reactivate your membership. We know from our experience that many members want to reactivate their membership and retain their previous weight loss journey. We may contact you about the service you’ve signed up for during this period. If you’re a group member, your Consultant may contact you about the service you’ve signed up for during this period.
In addition, some personal information is held for longer:
- as part of our research to help us develop our methods and services. In this case, access is carefully restricted. The information is used only for statistical purposes and is held only as long as is necessary to complete the research
- if you joined as part of a Slimming World on Referral scheme. Your information will be kept for statistical purposes during the period of the referral scheme and for a maximum period of 12 months after the end of the scheme
Where we obtain your consent to use your personal information for publicity or promotional purposes, including:
- in Slimming World Magazine
- on social media
- on our websites
we will retain that information until such time as you withdraw your consent, or the information is no longer suitable for the intended purpose. We will review the personal information held for publicity or promotional on at least an annual basis to identify what is no longer suitable for this purpose so it can be deleted.
12. How secure is my personal information?
We follow strict security procedures in the processing and disclosure of information which you have given us, to prevent unauthorised access and as required by data protection legislation.
At Slimming World, we understand the value of security and have implemented security policies, rules and robust physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the personal information we have under our control from unauthorised access, improper use and disclosure, unauthorised destruction or accidental loss.
The personal information and data held on laptops and other equipment used in group is protected from unauthorised access. All data electronically transferred is encrypted and sent by secure methods.
Wherever we use a carefully selected third party to help provide our services, we will always ensure your personal information is processed to the same strict security procedures as indicated in this policy.
Personal information and data stored at Slimming World Head Office is held on secure servers.
13. Can I delete my data?
We recognise you always have a choice and that you have chosen Slimming World is special and important to us. You can decide how you use our services and what information you provide to us.
If you stop attending group or subscribing to our online service (i.e. you cease to be an active member), we still retain your personal information in accordance with our retention policy (see section 11).
However, we will consider requests to delete data, unless we have a legal right or obligation to retain your Information. For example, we may retain information about your customer identity, such as name and payment history, to help us manage any financial queries that you might raise with us in the future. Furthermore, we may retain personal information for scientific research, or an anonymised version of your personal information. Any use of this personal information would only continue as permitted under this policy.
If you ask us to delete your personal information while you’re an active member, this may result in you no longer being able to continue as a member of Slimming World.
If you’d like us to cancel your membership, delete your personal information or if you don’t want us to share any information we hold about you with third parties, contact:
14. Can I find out what personal information Slimming World holds about me?
Under the data protection legislation you have the right to request a copy of the personal information Slimming World (including your Consultant) holds about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected.
Please contact us if:
- you’re worried that any information we may hold about you is incorrect
- you want to see what personal information we hold about you (and receive a copy)
- you have any queries regarding the accuracy or the processing of your data (including any misuse or unauthorised use)
- you want to withdraw your consent where any processing is based upon consent
We may require you to confirm your identity with two forms of approved identification such as:
- driving licence
- utility bill (from the last three months)
- current vehicle registration document
- bank statement (from the last three months)
You have the right to see whatever information we hold about you. Please send your request to the Data Protection Officer (contact details below) and we will respond to your request promptly and always within 30 days.
We will use reasonable efforts consistent with our legal duty to supply, correct or delete personal information we hold about you.
In writing to:
Attn. of John Pusey
Data Protection Officer
Clover Nook Road
15. What if I am accessing Slimming World websites from outside the UK?
Slimming World websites in the UK are published by Slimming World as slimmingworld.co.uk. You can access slimmingworld.co.uk from outside of the UK by searching for this domain name.
What is a cookie?
Cookies help us remember you and show you content we think you’ll like.
This document covers Slimming World’s use of any personal information we collect from you via the following online services:
- any Slimming World website that links to the cookies policy
- Slimming World apps
This policy explains:
- what information we might collect about you
- how we use the information we collect about you
- If you tick the box “Remember my username” when you log in to the website, we’ll place a cookie on your computer so you don’t have to enter your username again each time you come back.
- If you’ve signed up for our free seven-day eating plan we’ll use a cookie to remember you signed up so we don’t have to ask you every time you want to view the menu.
- If you’re a member of Slimming World Online or a Slimming World group and you use LifelineOnline, we need to use a cookie to remember that you logged in – otherwise you wouldn’t see any member-only pages.
- Similar technologies are also often used within emails to understand whether the email has been read or if any links have been clicked.
For details of the cookies we use on the Slimming World websites and apps, see our full Cookies Policy here.
17. Apps and devices
When you download or use Slimming World apps on your mobile device, information may be accessed from or stored to your device.
This information is used in a similar way to a web browser cookie, such as enabling the app to store a little bit of information about you while you’re using the app, or, in some instances, to make your next visit even easier for you.
Your web browser or device may also provide Slimming World with information about your device, such as a device identifier or IP address. Device identifiers may be collected automatically, such as the device ID, IP address, MAC address, IMEI number and app ID (a unique identifier relating to the particular version of the app you’re running).
When you sign in to a Slimming World app, your sign-in details may be stored securely on the device so you can access other Slimming World apps on the same device without needing to enter your sign-in details again.
We will include the date of any changes or updates on this page. If you’re a Slimming World member (group or online), we will notify you of any changes or updates via your Consultant or by a message the next time you log in.
If you do not agree to any of the changes or updates, please don’t continue to use Slimming World websites or to submit personal information to Slimming World. You should contact the Data Protection Officer to discuss your concerns.
If you’re worried that any information we may hold about you is incorrect, then please let Slimming World or your Consultant know and we/they will update our records.
Please contact Slimming World’s Data Protection Officer if you:
- want to withdraw your consent for any purpose for which it has been provided
- are concerned about the misuse or unauthorised use of your personal information
In writing to:
Attn. of John Pusey
Data Protection Officer
Clover Nook Road
If you are unhappy or dissatisfied with our response to any concerns you have raised about the security or use of information we hold in relation to you, you can complain to the appropriate supervisory authority. In the UK this is the Information Commissioners Office at: https://ico.org.uk/